After eating some of the most delicious rice and beans I’ve ever tasted, we had to figure out how to recreate the dish at home. After testing out several different recipes, we came across this one that tasted the most like the delicious dishes we had in Belize.
This recipe says it serves 3-5. If there are only 2 or 3 in your family, I would cut the recipe in half.
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 2 c uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tsp thyme
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 15.5 oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1 habanero pepper
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain.
- Heat saucepan with oil. Saute onions, garlic, thyme, and pepper for a little over a minute.
- Stir rice into pan, then beans. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bay leaves, creole spice, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Stir occasionally. Do not let the rice cook to the side or bottom of the pan.
- Discard bay leaves and serve warm.
Tips for cooking this recipe:
- Make sure to use coconut milk and NOT coconut water.
- Let the rice soak for an hour if you have time.
- Do not overcook or under cook the rice.